With the release of ALEOS 4.7.0 we are introducing a new protocol, Lightweight M2M (LWM2M), which manages the communications between AirLink gateways and ALMS. This change from MSCI (our legacy protocol) to LWM2M brings a number of benefits, which are outlined in a Technical Bulletin that you can access on the Source
As an ALMS user that has RV50, GX450 and/or ES450 devices in your account, we wanted to make sure you are aware of the implications of the upgrade to LWM2M, and are familiar with some of the changes that may be required to your infrastructure prior to upgrading. We suggest you take the following steps when upgrading to LWM2M.
In case of devices in a private APN, update your firewall rules
- Allow LWM2M to communicate both outbound toward the ALMS IP addresses, and inbound from ALMS IP addresses on ports UDP/5684 and UDP/5686.
Use ALMS to upgrade your devices to ALEOS 4.7.0.
- Our recommendation is that you either perform the upgrade locally from ACEmanager or from ALMS with HTTPS enabled (ensure the Server URL under Services/ALMS/ is using HTTPS, not HTTP).
Verify that your devices have switched to LWM2M
- When upgrading, the default communication protocol for ALMS switches from “MSCI” to “LWM2M with fallback to MSCI”. If the device can communicate over LWM2M it will continue to use the new protocol. If it cannot (e.g. firewall rules prevent communication), it will fall back to MSCI until the next time the device is rebooted, and will try again on LWM2M.
- You can see if the protocol has changed in the “Firmware” column in the main Monitor -> System grid. Devices running the MSCI version of the firmware will display, as an example, “ALEOS RV50 MSCI (4.7.0)”. Devices running the LWM2M version of the firmware will display “ALEOS RV50 (4.7.0)“.
As part of the release of ALEOS 4.7.0 we have created versions of your Templates, Datasets and Alert Rules based on the LWM2M version of the firmware.
If you collect periodic custom Dataset data, update “Configure communications” to collect the correct data.
- Make sure to reset all fields – Heartbeat, Default Status Report, and Additional Datasets.
- The LWM2M version of your Datasets have been created for you.
Review Alert Rules
- The LWM2M version of your Alert Rules have been created for you.
- Any Alert Rules you have created will be updated and automatically applied.
- You should not need to do anything for Alerts to continue to operate normally.
- When you upgrade from the previous firmware release to ALEOS 4.7.0, all of your configuration will be maintained, so there is nothing you need to do with your Templates to ensure your devices will continue to operate as expected.
- The LWM2M version of your Templates have been created for you, and you can apply these new Templates when you register new devices. The current name will be maintained.
- Any widgets in ALMS that required configuration to select specific data values will need to be updated.
- This includes Combo Charts, Data History Tables, Gauge Charts, Heat Maps, and Single value charts. Standard widgets that do not require configuration are unaffected.
If you need assistance with this process, please contact your Authorized Sierra Wireless Partner. You can access their information in ALMS from the Support tab in My Account.